Introduction to electronic music;
Wait a minute!, what is a electronic music ?
In general definition of electronic music is any music involving electronic processing, such as recording and editing on tape, and whose reproduction involves the use of loudspeakers.*
More detailed identify those productions oriented to enhance the sound produced by electronic, analog or digital instruments (such as synthesizers or software). *
In 1895, the first synthesizer was invented by Thaddeus Cahill (The Colossal Telharmonium — The World’s First Synthesizer)
Telharmonium was colassal machine for producing and sharing music on the telephone.
Laurens Hammond’s equally eponymous Hammond Organ worked via additive principals.
By combining turning tone wheels of different frequencies in different combinations, the organ was able to produce a wide range of different timbres — aided of course by vacuum-tube amplification.
A sophisticated instrument having two manuals, or keyboards, and a set of pedals operated by the feet.
Until 1975, Hammond organs generated sound by creating an electric current from rotating a metal tonewheel near an electromagnetic pickup, and then strengthening the signal with an amplifier to drive a speaker cabinet. The organ is commonly used with the Leslie speaker.*
The organist controlled the Hammond’s various timbres by means of a system of drawbars, which functioned similarly to the stops on a pipe organ with a far greater degree and simple of control.
If we look evolvement of electronic music listening, producing today ;
We will define 6 stages of evolvement of the electronicly created music;
- Origins: The 70s
Krautrock/kosmische musik: Kraftwerk, Tangerine Dream, Klaus Schulze
Innovators and pioneers of electronic music, it was among the first successful acts to popularize the genre. The group began as part of West Germany’s experimental krautrock scene in the early 1970s before fully embracing electronic instrumentation, including synthesizers, drum machines, and vocoders.
Autobahn was the first album of their electronic phase, the first of a series of cult records for lovers of this music.
Autobahn (2009 Remaster) - YouTube Music
Provided to YouTube by Parlophone UK Autobahn (2009 Remaster) · Kraftwerk Autobahn ℗ 2009 Ralf Hütter/Kraftwerk under…
Electronica: Jean-Michel Jarre, Vangelis
Electronic disco: Giorgio Moroder, Cerrone, Chic
- Youth: The 80s
- Electronic pop — the forefathers: The Human League, Yellow Magic Orchestra, Gary Numan, John Foxx, Ultravox, The Normal, Fad Gadget
- Electronic pop — the success: Depeche Mode, New Order, Soft Cell, Orchestral Manoeuvres In The Dark, Visage, Yazoo, Duran Duran, Spandau Ballet, Japan, Tears For Fears, Alphaville, Bronski Beat, Pet Shop Boys, Erasure
- House music: Frankie Knuckles, Marshall Jefferson, Mr. Fingers, Jesse Saunders, Robert Owens, Jamie Principle, Phuture
- Techno: Cybotron, Juan Atkins, Derrick May, Kevin Saunderson, Carl Craig, Jeff Mills, Plastikman, Underground Resistance, Robert Hood
- First techno track ever? You can debate forever about it, but Clear by Cybotron (a creation from Juan Atkins and Richard Davis) has still many reason to reach way.
- Cybotron Clear Redefined 2020 Mix
Maturity: The 90s
- Hardcore: 808 State, The KLF, Altern 8, 4hero, Goldie, Roni Size, Aphrodite
- Trance: Paul Van Dyk, Energy 52, Sasha
- Eurodance: La Bouche, Corona, Ace Of Base, Haddaway, Paradisio
- IDM: Aphex Twin, Autechre, Boards Of Canada, The Black Dog/Plaid, Global Communication
- Trip hop: Massive Attack, Portishead, Tricky, Morcheeba, Sneaker Pimps, Unkle
- Big Beat: The Chemical Brothers, The Prodigy, Fatboy Slim, The Crystal Method, Groove Armada
- Reconstructions and Redefining: The 00s
- Dubstep: Skream, Benga, Distance, Burial, Mala, Kode 9, Silkie, Boxcutter, Pinch, Plastician
- Electroclash: Felix Da Housecat, Miss Kittin, Adult, Vitalic, Peaches, Fischerspooner
- Grime: Wiley, Dizzee Rascal, Kano, Lethal Bizzle, Skepta
- French House: Daft Punk, Justice, Cassius, Etienne De Crecy, Alex Gopher
- Wonky: Flying Lotus, Hudson Mohawke, Lukid, Samiyam, Rustie, Onra
- Nu Disco: Dimitri From Paris, Lindstrøm, Prins Thomas, Todd Terje
- What is French House ?
French house is greatly influenced by the lineage of American dance music from the emergence of disco onwards, maintaining a distinct connection to Euro disco and the short lived space disco music style.
- Legend of House and French House music Daft Punk first single
I would also share seen on youtube Tribute video for Daft Punk from begining to until they stop the making music.
I started my electronic music journey by listening, discovering their style and impressed by them.
Thanks for the electro journey Daft punk.
- Rising the story:The 10s
EDM: Avicii, Zedd, Martin Garrix, Calvin Harris, David Guetta
- (intelligent) Trap: Flosstradamus, Baauer, RL Grime, TNGHT
- Emotional electro: James Blake, Jamie Woon, SBTRKT, Sohn, Chet Faker, RY X
- Glo-fi: Washed Out, Toro Y Moi, Neon Indian, Com Truise
- Footwork: DJ Rashad, DJ Spinn, Traxman, RP Boo
- Future bass: Flume, DJ Snake, Lido, Odesza, Cashmere Cat, Kasbo
- PC Music: Sophie, A. G. Cook, Hannah Diamond, GFOTY
- An Ongoing story: The 20s
Music, Makers & Machines - Google Arts & Culture
A brief history of electronic music with more than 250 online exhibitions by over 50 partner institutions from 15…
7 essential tracks in the history of electronic dance music
Electronic music is one of the most modern but already popular music genres which is reasonable. People love listening…
History of electronic music | Electronic Music of Brainvoyager
The history of electronic music is a long one. This article highlights the milestones, thus providing a concise…
Electronic organ | musical instrument
Electronic organ, keyboard musical instrument in which tone is generated by electronic circuits and radiated by…